Monday, September 15, 2008

DANCE LIKE F-ING CRAZY




Those were the instructions I saw in place of an EXIT sign at Santos' Party House last night. German duo Digitalism were there and while the night got off to a late start--I know Sunday is like the new Friday or something, but it didn't make me any less tired--it wasn't long before I was going crazy.

Now last August fellow blogger Nos Def and I were present for what I consider to be the most liberating fun I've ever had--Daft Punk at Keyspan Park. Sometimes when I tell people I was at that show, they act as though I happened to be hanging hillside when Jesus multiplied the loaves and the fishies. "You were there?" they'll ask, their eyes widening and glazing over in their own body's reaction to how high they would have been if they were there, too. "I heard that show was like, the greatest....dude. Yea. Man."

I'll admit that most every other dance and electronica show I've been to since has just been some lame effort to try to recreate August 9th, 2007. I did it with Justice at Terminal Five and I did it last night with Digitalism, and as you can guess, both times have never been up to par. Not to say I don't dance my face off--of course I do--but there's always something missing. The one thing I could have done without last night was the train siren they kept playing in the DJ booth. Imagine the sound of a loud choo-choo coming right towards you, and you'll have some idea of what they were playing every so often in-between mixing. Not cool dudes. You made me miss a beat.

Digitalism is in Sao Paulo on the 27th. Check out this video from Coachella:

No comments: